Massage chairs can be considered good for scoliosis due to their ability to help alleviate many of its symptoms like muscle stiffness and pain. Massage chairs can also aid some scoliosis patients in correcting their spinal curvature.
While scoliosis is a serious condition that currently has no cure, many of its symptoms can be controlled or reduced through various massage therapies currently available. Regular massage should help 2% to 3% of the juvenile population prone to scoliosis and the 30% of people over 60 who have the condition.
This article will talk about the nature of scoliosis and the types of massage that can alleviate its symptoms.
What is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis is the abnormal twisting or curving of the spine, which can cause noticeable changes in one’s back. Below are some common signs of scoliosis:
- One’s shoulder is higher than the other
- One’s hip or shoulder is more prominent
- A noticeable difference in leg lengths
- A visually prominent ribcage
- Clothing doesn’t hang properly
- Having a curved spine that is visible at the back
Most scoliosis patients were diagnosed during adolescence and only experience mild complications. However, some types of scoliosis can worsen over time, causing pain and limiting the ability of some organs (like the lungs) to function properly.
In general, there are two basic causes of scoliosis:
- Postural: This is caused by an improper posture, such as the habit of standing with the entire weight of your body on one leg while the other hip juts out. You can easily reverse this type of scoliosis by practicing proper posture and having routine massages.
- Structural: This is a type of scoliosis present from birth or results from major physical trauma like a car accident. There’s currently no foolproof way to reverse this type of scoliosis. However, there are ways to manage its symptoms properly and reduce any pain it causes. One of these is through massage therapy.
Can Massage Chairs Help Scoliosis Patients?
Massage chairs can provide scoliosis patients with a lot of benefits, including pain relief and muscle recovery. Here are other ways a massage chair can help scoliosis patients:
- Assist in relieving pain and relaxing the muscles
- Raise endorphin levels to accelerate muscle and tissue recovery
- Help decrease muscle tension and improve flexibility
- Improve the lymphatic and venous flow (general circulation)
While lacking the personal touch that’s often found when working with massage therapists, massage chairs are still a worthy investment due to their accessibility alone. Scoliosis patients can receive proper massage treatment anytime and at the comfort of their own homes.
Best Massages for Scoliosis
There are currently two major massage techniques considered effective against the symptoms of scoliosis:
- Shiatsu Massage: This involves kneading or applying pressure on the body using hands, fingers, thumbs, elbows, and knees. This massage uses pressing, sweeping, patting, and rotating movements to release tension in specific locations in the back. Shiatsu is a great back massage for scoliosis because it helps reduce stiffness and backaches.
- Swedish Massage: This type of massage involves kneading motions and long gliding strokes across the body. Swedish massage focuses on a patient’s neck, arms, and legs. It reduces stiffness, back pain, and shortness of breath often associated with this condition.
Apart from Swedish and Shiatsu massages, the following methods are found to be effective in alleviating scoliosis-related issues:
- Deep Tissue Massage: It targets the deepest layers of muscles and connective tissues. Deep tissue massage helps scoliosis patients achieve lower heart rates and blood pressure, muscle flexibility in the back muscles, and improved body posture.
- Cranial-sacral Therapy: This massage focuses on the head, sacrum regions, and spinal column. This gentle treatment helps relieve tension on the muscles and joints, which results in better mobility and spine balance.
Benefits of Massage for Scoliosis
Pain relief isn’t the only thing that massage therapy offers to scoliosis patients. Whether provided by a professional or a massage chair, this therapy can help improve the daily life of people with scoliosis.
Here are just some of the benefits one can expect from massage therapy:
- Improves body awareness: Massage allows you to understand better what’s going on with your body and encourage you to develop personal habits that may help prevent scoliosis from worsening.One study found that patients who focused on body awareness showed improvements in their scoliosis symptoms.
- Improved mobility: Massage therapy can help augment the spine’s mobility and strengthen the back muscles. It helps patients maintain their body’s control and functionality despite the effects of scoliosis.
- Improved blood circulation: Massage therapies stretch tense muscles, allowing more blood to flow freely throughout the body. This improved blood circulation helps increase the strength, flexibility, and recovery time of muscles surrounding the spine.
- Improved sleeping habits: Many scoliosis patients have insomnia due to uncomfortable sleeping postures. Fortunately, massage therapy can help relieve the muscle pains that keep you up at night and relaxes the muscles so you can have a good night’s sleep.
Massage therapy—whether provided by a massage chair or an expert—offers benefits that aids in improving the physical and mental health of people with scoliosis. Those planning to invest in a massage chair to help with their scoliosis can rest easy knowing that it’s an effective way to manage their condition.
OSIM UK has been offering massage chairs for over 21 years, helping promote healthy lifestyles and wellbeing. If you want to know which of our products works best with scoliosis patients, contact us today. Our team will be happy to help you find the right massage chair for scoliosis.